Monday, October 15, 2012

End of the summer basil.








Before the hardest of frosts, we picked the rest of the basil.  It had been nipped a bit, some stems a dingy dead brown, but most was fine.  My helper picked leaves from stems, and I only had to pull out a couple tree leaves from the bowl (before it went to the food processor, fortunately).

In the past, I've had a little problem with pine nuts.  Did you know there's a condition where eating pine nuts can cause a metallic taste in ones mouth everytime something is eaten, for up to weeks after eating the pine nuts?!  Having had it a few years ago, I know this problem quite well and am loath to repeat it.  Imagine metallic-tasting everything:  cereal, tea, coffee, pasta, meat, ice cream... every thing you put in your mouth makes a bitter, metallic taste.   (Similar to tap water in Michigan!  ha!)  Anyway, I know there are pesto recipes with different nuts, but that would have meant shopping for nuts and the basil, parmesean, and olive oil were sitting right there on my counter.
This recipe turned out great!  Pesto without nuts

Although I didn't have nuts for pesto, I did happen to have all the ingredients to make different pesto with my Thai basil:  Asian Basil Pesto 
Nothing compares to Thai basil when you need basil for Asian recipes.  I always throw some in stir fries or fried rice.  This pesto recipe I froze in an ice cube tray, but the oil must keep it from freezing solid, because days later it is still a bit soft.

I like to over-winter the basil plants inside, digging them out and potting them, but they'd already started to freeze, and they truly aren't particularly happy being houseplants in Minnesota, with our 8 hours of (weak) daylight in the winter.  (I'm already starting to wear a reflective jacket to walk the dog in the morning:  sad.)

The regular basil was lovely with a package of cheese ravioli...hmmm, what else to add it to?!

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with pine nuts. I guess it doesn't matter what part of the world they come from, or is it any pine nuts that cause the problem? Aunt A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that interesting?! It seems they used to think the problem came from a certain type of pine nut from a certain place, but after studying the problem more, they don't know what causes it! Maybe it's in our genes ;) (I wonder if Grandma or Grandpa ever had pine nuts?! :)

      Delete