"During the school day, there should be extended time for play. Research has shown unequivocally that children learn best when they are interested in the material or activity they are learning. Play — from building contraptions to enacting stories to inventing games — can allow children to satisfy their curiosity about the things that interest them in their own way. It can also help them acquire higher-order thinking skills, like generating testable hypotheses, imagining situations from someone else’s perspective and thinking of alternate solutions."
"So what should children be able to do by age 12, or the time they leave elementary school? They should be able to read a chapter book, write a story and a compelling essay; know how to add, subtract, divide and multiply numbers; detect patterns in complex phenomena; use evidence to support an opinion; be part of a group of people who are not their family; and engage in an exchange of ideas in conversation. If all elementary school students mastered these abilities, they would be prepared to learn almost anything in high school and college."
Quotes from a Raymond Moore book? a Charlotte Mason conference?
No.
New York Times, February 1, 2010. Susan Engel.
Please read this awesome article, and pray that our leaders would actually work to help our children instead of "not leaving any behind."
(just an aside:
all of the above events pictured, from today,
were completely un-coerced
or even suggested in any way.
there are many days I love
unschooling,
...to make up for the
some
I
don't.)
all of the above events pictured, from today,
were completely un-coerced
or even suggested in any way.
there are many days I love
unschooling,
...to make up for the
some
I
don't.)
Fabulous post, great article!
ReplyDeleteFantastic article! Thanks for posting the link.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome, I had to share it when I read it!
ReplyDelete