This, right here, is the real reason I've always wanted to knit.
Who knew it was so much easier than it seems?! (um, most real knitters, I'm sure)
My paternal grandmother, who is my inspiration for knitting in general, inspires me every time I pick up any of the knit things we have around the house. She knit so. much... I wish she was still around so I could give her awesome yarn (she'd never purchase awesome yarn herself, being a "child of the depression"!) and have her show me how to do some of this stuff.
I wonder how many other newbie knitters out there are now learning through their LYS or google what many years ago we'd learn from our mothers and grandmothers? (no offense, Mom, you taught me lots of other neat stuff, like how to do a french seam and put in a button hole ;)
I finished my first hat - you can see it on K here while she pets snakes and millipedes - and finding it wasn't as bad as all that, moved on to a simple cable-knit hat. The pattern is here: Chunky Cable Hat by Emily Wessel. The yarn I'm using isn't chunky, therefore it will be a hat for little G, probably, but I'm loving doing it so much - it's so much fun!
As for the needles I'm using, I invested in a big splurge for myself. I joked with Jeff that he doesn't have a wife who shops, I don't buy shoes or clothes, but when it comes to supplies, I have a hard time not getting the best I can find... I needed a circular (owning none), and the next day, ended up with this set from my LYS, Shepherd's Choice.
********
Last but very much not least, I have a very fun announcement!
Stacy Trock, author of the new book Cuddly Crochet, will be stopping by in April!
She will be on a blog tour for her incredibly cute book of baby toys and accessories, we'll have a little interview, and we'll even have a give-away for a copy of her book! (maybe even a crochet-a-long, if I get my act together!)

Last but very much not least, I have a very fun announcement!
Stacy Trock, author of the new book Cuddly Crochet, will be stopping by in April!
She will be on a blog tour for her incredibly cute book of baby toys and accessories, we'll have a little interview, and we'll even have a give-away for a copy of her book! (maybe even a crochet-a-long, if I get my act together!)
So stay tuned and be sure to stop by for all the fun!!

Cabling is the reason why I want to learn how to knit. I need to take sometime to learn the basics of knitting first but then the cable stitch would be my next project. Glad to hear it is fairly easy!
ReplyDelete