I must be getting old (?!) but I decided I was tired of hefting myself up on the edge of the bed to get dressed in the morning. what a pain to balance my behind, while still half-asleep (me and my behind), and attempt to pull socks (or worse - tights) on my cold feet.
(plus I have this weird thing about wearing street clothes on bedsheets - so the bed needs to be made before I get dressed... the same goes for the girls' beds, they're not allowed in them or on the sheets with street clothes. just a little natural healthy nonsensical phobia!)
these beautiful antique quartersawn oak chairs, with leather seats, were rescued by our friends whose elderly owner-occupied landlord had passed away and his heirs were tossing things left and right. however, the leather seat covers had small holes in them - which I soon found out are a magnet for little picking fingers.
I covered one chair that we use in the main level, while another was relegated to the (now, but not by next year) black hole that is the upstairs back porch. I dragged it out, set it in our room, and the dog immediately starts worrying the tiny hole.
sigh. I guess I'll make another cover.
I wanted something very quick and easy (unlike the exact fitted cover I made previously), and though I'm not really in for ironic-kitsch-cutsie, when I saw these old cords of Jeff's, I had to use them.
I cut the front off the back, cut the legs apart and sewed them flat, pinned the miters, eye-balled and cut around the chair, folded up the hem, and stitched around the whole thing. I think my favorite part is the fact that I can use the belt loops and a bit of thin brown ribbon to keep the cover in place.
I tried it out tonight, putting on comfy pants. Cords are much nicer on rears than cold holey leather!
Still haven't decided if I like like it, but it fulfills its purpose and maybe it will grow on me!
No comments:
Post a Comment