Friday, June 25, 2010

then we got more...


I had just looked up strawberry picking when I found out they were almost to the end of the season... so the next day we went!

K was very good at picking, but won't eat them (except in jam); G wouldn't pick ("I can't find any momma!!" she wails as she stands ankle deep in fruit) but loves to eat them.

Mostly made jam out of this batch, then Jeff said he wanted more - so after talking with the window guy about porch windows (yes, unrelated to strawberries), we went back in the evening yesterday and filled the flat again, quick before the berry place closed.

Bill Bauer, of Bauer Berry, played a pivotal role in the Grass Roots Cooperative situation, and for that, we'll be very thankful! Plus, he has friendly kids working his fields and wonderful berries!

Now, with the 1/2 gallon of organic whipping cream in my fridge, too...
I think it's time for fool! (click through: pop-up ad warning)

2 comments:

  1. We went and got more yesterday too! I actually had ordered a pre-picked flat, but I brought an empty one along and took all 3 kids to the fields and thought, well, whatever extra we get is bonus (had a quick escape route planned). The kids were great, and I got another flat picked! Awesome, awesome berry farm.

    And the fool recipe looks good, but I think we are going to do pie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I liked berry pies, but I just don't! (kinda like kettle corn!) It's too bad for Jeff, but he'll live - I do like apple. Hope your pie turns out nicely!

    ReplyDelete