Wednesday, March 2, 2011

we ate all the marshmallows now, anyway.

So, time to get down off that marshmallow sugar high and get in some protein and carbs.  The kids will love helping with this recipe, too.  (At least the mixing part, the stirring while baking part is a bit of a pain, I must admit!)

People either like granola, or they don't, it seems.  I used to think I was someone who didn't like granola - but realized that granola doesn't have to have coconut flakes in it.  Isn't that the fun?  Make it how you want!








Here's a nice basic granola recipe, it's quick and easy.  ...and really pretty!  I put the granola in glass jars, it's too pretty to go in the bulk cereal boxes we use.

Granola

1/2 C roasted sunflower seeds
5 C oatmeal (not instant)
1/4 C canola oil (or, in a pinch, I've been known to use olive oil.  Works fine.)
1/3 C local honey
1/3 C packed brown sugar (again, white works; and better yet put molasses in w/ white)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. each nutmeg and cloves
1/2 C no-salt-added good-quality nut mix, chopped (or almonds or walnuts)
raisins

Preheat oven to 300 F

Combine sunflower seeds and oatmeal in a large bowl.
Put in a glass bowl the sugar, oil, honey, vanilla, and spices.  Microwave until soft (maybe 20 seconds) and mix very well.  Drizzle over the oatmeal mixture and stir well to uniformly coat.

Spread mixture in a large baking pan.  Bake 25 minutes, stirring every 5-7 minutes.  (Note that stirring is easier if you remove the pan from the oven, and stir with a pancake turner)   Cool well in the pan, stirring again when it's been out of the oven about 7 minutes, scraping the pan well.

Finally, add the chopped nuts, and store in an airtight container.  Sprinkle with raisins when serving.

~
Look at your local co-op for bulk oatmeal, nuts, and seeds.  If you buy more than you need, the leftovers store well in the freezer.  Play with the spices and nuts, use different combinations or amounts to your preference!  (and if you like coconut, fine, you can add that, too, I suppose... all the more for you to eat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment