Wednesday, November 30, 2011

in which the countdown soon begins!



Inspired by the internet, and thinking that some organization would help our holiday planning this month, I sat down with the girls to create some "countdown to Christmas" envelopes.

We've done little things every year in the past (putting a little wooden ornament on the little wooden tree, etc), but I liked the idea of sorting out activities to do throughout the month.  Of course, we have way more activities than will fit in our already busy month, but "Going to the Nutcracker, then going out for lunch" is something we're already doing, and a wonderful thing to be able to write on a tiny paper and tuck in a tiny envelope the girls made.  ...and not tell the girls about ahead of time.

We first made the envelopes using plastic templates I picked up somewhere along the way years ago.  They stamped dates on circles punched with a paper punch, and we taped them to the cards (this project was done using tape for everything - I wanted it to be easy).  You could easily use plain white envelopes and decorate them with the numbers, I don't claim to have invented this idea!

Here are some ideas I've gathered from all over, some of them will make it into our envelopes this year. (don't tell the girls!)

Decorate house
Make Christmas cards
Learn about Sinterklaas, put shoes out
String popcorn garland for the tree
Gift of new pajamas
Pick out Christmas tree
Decorate tree
Make new ornament for tree
Go out for drinks at Avant Garden and walk around town
Pop popcorn and watch a movie
Get together with family friends
Make gingerbread house (we buy a kit now, but someday I hope to make from scratch)
Make snow angles
Make a snowman
Go sledding
Go skiing/snoeshoeing
Make gifts for teachers
Make gifts for family
Make paper snowflakes
Buy gifts for Toys for Tots
Family game night
Bake cookies, give to friends and neighbors
Drive around and look at Christmas lights in pj's w. snacks
Make gifts for teachers
Go to a museum
Holidazzle parade and supper at Pizza Luce
Read the Nutcracker
Go to the Nutcracker ballet
Read A Christmas Carol +/or watch movie
Church Christmas program
Girls' group Christmas party

All these things, along with the many things already scheduled, and probably some that I'll think up at the last minute, will fill our December.  I hope yours is filled with fun, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment