Thursday, February 2, 2012

in which there is a birthday hat, but not mittens.


I made the mistake of starting mittens whilst on Jeff's and my little vacation (but found extreme pleasure in knitting mittens at the beach), so didn't have that little hand to compare while I was going along.  of course, even with a tracing of her hand, mitten one was too small.  (note my aforementioned gauge problem.)  frogged... and soon easily replaced by $1 mittens from the big box store.  ah well.

all the more time for knitting a birthday hat!

we used to have a red wool hat in this pattern, nicely worn in by big sister so it was soft.  red hat disappeared after our vacation last September (!?), and Gret asked for her new hat to be the same one.

alas.  new wool = scratchy wool (even if the wool itself isn't particularly scratchy, wool vs. forehead often is) and I was a bit bummed that she didn't put it right on and forget to take it off, as she has done with past hats.

we put pink scratchy hat aside for a bit, and I thought for a bit.


Kaatje likes to play with polar fleece, and I had a bit of soft thin grey left from Christmas... and just enough there was!


simple whip-stitching along the edge and up the seam (all the way to the edge, as requested, so no scratchy gets through), leaving it open along the top edge to maximize stretching ability, and we have a new winter hat for a happy little girl!


(and happy mom, who tires of frogging sometimes!)

pattern:  spiral hat, by Marci Blank, from "designer one-skein wonders"
yarn:  lamb's pride bulky 85% wool, 15% mohair
needles: size 10 circ and dpns

and all us girls in the family do have the same blue-grey eyes...

No comments:

Post a Comment