Thursday, November 15, 2012
tiny stitches, waning light
A few years ago I purchased the lovely Alicia Paulson's yearly handmade ornament kit. (Something about the knitted scarf for the polar bear; I simply needed it.) After receiving the package, I opened and marvelled at all the little parts and (to me) complicated instructions, and carefully set it away. For more than 2 years.
As I got the package and little parts out a bit ago, Kaatje was immediately stricken with the red coat, and Greta insisted on sewing her own polar bear (I think the sequins were a major part of that decision). I was only sad I couldn't give them real felt to use, as I wasn't about to fork over the lovely bits of (Expensive) 100% wool felt from the kit, that being all I had.
Though I'm reminded again how good ingredients make for the best finished results, and wish I had real felt on hand, the polyester "felt" they use is fine and they enjoyed sitting in the dimming afternoon and stitching.
I'm so glad I put this away and can share it with them now, instead of fighting for a minute here or there to have to myself to do it. We're constantly fighting the battle of feeling like whatever struggle now will last forever, then when the next step gently comes, we don't even realize we've made that next step, through and beyond that particular hard spot. Until I'm sitting and watching polar bear faces being stitched and coat pockets being placed, while I do my own.
Now to finish a teeny seed-stitch scarf knit on #1 needles. For a polar bear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
thank you thank you for that reminder this morning...a morning where it seems like the struggles will last forever. (and I have been fighting for over a month to get H's handmade birthday gift done!) so glad for this time for you and the girls - and I LOVE these ornaments...=)
ReplyDeleteif it makes you feel better, I realize no one's getting anything knitted for Christmas this year... with less than 2 months to go and me having never thought about it! Henry will love his book whenever he gets it, from his dear momma!
DeleteI love Alicia's crafts....if I were a little better at cross stitch I would try out her Winter Woods. Found your blog through an unschooling site - so glad I did!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment! So funny you mention cross stitch - I've never liked it, but decided, out-of-character, to try the cross stitch mitten in this ornament collection. I'm having fun with it, but I've already taken things out more times than I can count ;) I'm not sure I'd ever be ready for Winter Woods (or have that patience/endurance!) So glad you stopped by!
Delete