Tuesday, December 4, 2012
starting the season.
As we tramped and wandered and sucked peppermint candy, we enjoyed the beginning of this busy season. I commented to Jeff that if every tree-cutting outing was 40-degrees, even with the lack of festive snowcover, it would be much easier. By the way, did you know there's chickens whose feathers are like fur?!
Greta met two (or was it three?) Santa's in one day. Wanting candy canes, she was willing to put up with talking to this stranger dressed so funny, but her confusion was apparent (and evilly amusing to Jeff and I) when each talked to her as if they knew her personally. "Um, yeah, okay, I'll sit on your knee and talk to you but can I please have a candy cane?" is written on her little face. It's not like she doesn't know who Santa is, we do read about and have a tiny celebration for Sinterklaas, but I'm pretty sure this is her first direct person-to-Santa encounter. Kaatje hid from both Santa's presences. (But not their presents. She accepted the candy canes.) I warned both children they aren't allowed to tell other kids that Santa's just dressed up and pretending to be someone who died a long time ago (which Greta explained to me).
We're oddly both not ready and ready for the month ahead. Organizationally, things are going quite well; we've decorated, I'm staying ahead of lists, I've even created a very simple "preparing for Jesus" daily Bible reading to do in place of our regular daily reading. But we adults are feeling not quite mentally there yet. (As if that matters. The girls are there enough for all of us.)
(but I venture to say they might be avoiding future Santas.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Looks like a fun way to start the season! I love the idea of replacing daily reading with a "preparing for Jesus" lesson. We memorized Luke 2 as a family and that has been fun to say. The whole Santa thing is always interesting, here, too. My two older girls (10 and 7) "know better" and play along with our 4 year old son. It's pretty cute!
ReplyDelete