When we decided to go to Texas this winter, quite a while ago, I knew I wanted to look for a guest ranch to visit. Kaatje and I horseback-rode at Theodore Roosevelt NP a year or so ago and she really enjoyed it, and I did some (slightly more intensive) horseback riding when I was (much) younger and still like it, so I thought a day "on the ranch" would be fun for all of us, since Gret is now old enough to ride. Jeff agreed out of his willing-to-try-anything-once heart. (This is one reason we get along so well!)
Visiting the horses.
Our 24 hours on the ranch (good guest ranches can be quite expensive) was chilly, but filled with fun and lots of fresh air. At a place that can easily see 70-90 people at one time during their busy season in the spring and summer, we were the only people on site aside from the wranglers and workers. Having full run of the place was a bit lonely for the kids, perhaps, but we enjoyed the peace and vast quietness.
Feeding the longhorns (not us, the wrangler!)
He had a long-handled whip to keep those horns away from us as they ate
(not for "whipping" them, but pushing on their foreheads to move them away).
The ranch keeps this small herd simply to have longhorns on the property to show visitors. The cattle can been dangerous, especially when they're eating these favorite nuggets, but they leave people alone in general and we could walk through their pastures as we wished.
I did so wish for a clear star-gazing night, but it wasn't to be.
(Gorgeous anyway.)
The girls favorite animal: Rocky the 22-day old miniature donkey.
(They were pretty sure we should take him home to be Pippin's friend.)
Because we didn't get a picture of her on her horse,
we took Greta's picture on Kaatje's horse the next day.
Kaatje and I rode twice over two days, Gret and Jeff once.
Our fossil-hunting grounds, the morning of the day we had to leave.
We found many "texas-heart" fossils (a type of clam) and
Greta found a large carnivorous snail fossil.
~
Then back on the road again, heading for that big blue water!
No comments:
Post a Comment