Saturday, May 4, 2013
this week in knitting.
I enjoy the "I'm knitting this" or "I'm reading this" posts on other gal's websites (very rarely do the websites I follow by men talk about their knitting, but sometimes their reading. I guess most geek men don't knit. Or at least don't admit they do. hmmm. Um, I digress.), though my knitting (and sometimes reading) moves along so slowly perhaps this wouldn't be a good regular post, but I thought I'd throw my hat, or sweater, as it were, in the ring and show you what my hands do in their off time.
This lovely cotton yarn is by Cascade Yarns, called Sierra. It's nice to knit with and easy on the fingers. (and frogs easily, which was helpful!) I has started with another cardigan pattern, a yoke neck, but didn't like how the random staggered increases were looking with this yarn's stitch definition, so I frogged it and found a shrug in One Skein Wonders (called the Eyelet Lace Shruglet) that I started. Note: this pattern does have, um, "issues" as written in the book, but the designer is a wonderful lady who directed me to her website here for help.
The pattern is for only one size, a Sm/Med, and although I'm pretty "Sm" I have broad shoulders, so sized it up a bit by continuing with the raglan increases a little longer than indicated. I'm also hoping to make this "shruglet" into a full-fledged summer cardi, with, perhaps 3/4 sleeves, depending on when yarn runs shy. I don't particularly claim to know what I'm doing with such things regarding pattern changes, but I did cross-reference the great Mrs. Zimmermann to see if my thoughts might work. (They might!) Time will tell. Fortunately, I have a 11-year old waiting in the wings to see if the sweater is entirely too small for me, and then she will be the fortuitous one!
(and if all else fails, a 7-year old. Oh, my. I hope I'm not *that* bad at pattern modification.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment