Monday, February 17, 2014

here be fairies. (and sewing.)











Greta received a wonderful book for Christmas this year:  Forest Fairy Crafts.

Right away, over the Christmas week, she made an owl pocket animal, but we had to gather a few more supplies at home before we could try some of the other crafts.  We enjoy this book so much because of the quality of the finished projects;  these are dolls like we used to buy from the expensive Waldorf-style stores or catalogues, and the girls make them just like they want them.  Plus, there's such an array of neat projects:  from stuffed animals to many kinds and sizes of fairies.  The girls piece hats from one kind of fairy to wings from another, since it's so easily customizable.  I'm not being bothered by requests to purchase little fairies like I'd buy them years ago!

Even for my especially crafty girls (gifted, not taught!) I do need to help Greta with these projects... sometimes she can't get string tight enough, or needs a third hand to help glue hair, or the like.  Kaatje can complete the crafts on her own, but I find I can still help with gently guiding her away from frustration if she starts to flounder (anger not being conducive to fine motor skills, among many other things).

I'm kind of getting into my head that a fairy-making-party would be a lovely long-winter's-end event, but we'll see where that goes.  (Shhhh!! to my friends reading with little girls....later if not sooner, but don't tell them!)

(Notes:  The small animals are from Kaatje's loved Christmas presents: The Cute Book and the Cuter Book.  The bead fairies are kits from our local bead store: The Garden of Beads, where they know Kaatje on sight.  Now that the bookstore and the yarn store are gone, there's worse places here to be known on sight... the tattoo parlor maybe?  ahem.)

No comments:

Post a Comment