Friday, February 13, 2009

cookbook for (hip) boys & girls


This cookbook was an inheritance of Jeff's. He actually remembers making and eating many of the things from this book; mediocre recipes that are the home-cooked equivalent of fast food: lots of processed meat, white flour, white sugar, etc. What do you expect out of the early 70's? ;)


And truly, if it makes kids interested in cooking, and excited about measuring and eating their own food, how can I complain?!

~
K announced earlier this week that "I've never baked anything all by myself..."

*sigh* on my part, fighting a huge sinus yuck headache, thinking of the bread I needed to bake myself, and the sink full of dishes (ever wash dishes by hand with a drippy nose and throbbing head? not fun, as you know.)

But I fought off the apathy and told K to go find dad's old yellow cooking book, and see what she could find in it. She came back a bit later with the recipe for "cheesy pretzels," and I hesitantly looked it over... not too bad: no yeast, no complicated instructions, and we even had all the ingredients.

So we set to work. I verbally helped K, while starting bread myself and attempting to keep little G away from her, but K did everything herself. A bit of help from me kneading the dough together and rolling out the rectangles of dough, but all the rest - the measuring, the stirring, etc - she did on her own.

She did awesome, picking out the right measuring cups and spoons (even though we haven't 'done' fractions yet), rolling and shaping.

I have to say, not that they tasted bad, per se, but they did look a lot prettier than they tasted. K liked them, so that was really nice, but G refused to eat them after a first one. Jeff's comment was, "Yeah, that's what I remember them tasting like." ;)

We did have more fun this morning, although sewing tiny things of K's inducement with both kids under my elbows is a bit trying. I'll post pics and info soon.

Time to head out for the afternoon...

2 comments:

  1. I learned from a 1950's copy my mom picked up at a yard sale. The recipes were awful and some (like the icing) were just plain wrong. But oh the joy of making it yourself without help. I was so blessed that my normally fastidious mom allowed me complete freedom in the kitchen, and boy did I make some doozies of mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that cook book. I agree.. most of the recipes are questionable. I remember a yellow cake cookie from that book that wasn't to bad... I am glad to hear that K enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete