Wednesday, January 27, 2010

spray paint would be much faster.

After little g's 4-year-old checkup yesterday (all good! healthy girl!) we walked over to the flower shop so I could ask them about something I've had my thoughts on... as we walk in the door, K exclaims "now we can get white carnations!"


huh?

Oh, yeah.

K found the "coloring carnations with food coloring water" experiment in one of her random sciencey books... (really, I'm not sure what this "experiment" is supposed to show - even little g knows plants suck water.)


Though, it is interesting (24 hours later) to see where the color is first starting on the petals - obviously the places where the water goes first. The book said to color a whole flower would take an hour or a few, maybe even a day. However, (24 hours later) our flowers have only the teeniest bit of color on them, on the edges of some of the petals.

Maybe has something to do with the fact that it's 7 degrees out? Obviously not in the house, (where it's a balmy 66) but I'm sure the chill and lack of light doesn't help flowers pull up water. I could set the cups on the radiator, but I don't want the flowers in direct sunlight...

Regardless, well worth the $3.21 and chatting a bit with the nice local florist in the warm and lovely-smelling shop... and now having a couple pretty flowers on my table next to the clementines.

(and if anything flower-color-exciting happens, you'll be the first to know!)

3 comments:

  1. Celery works well for it as well (always loved that experiment-- great for seeing the veins and a great illo to how our own veins work.) Chop the bottom off the stem at an angle every hour or so and it will work much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poor, poor celery should be eaten, not used as an experiment! (this from a celery farmer's daughter!) ;-)
    Just kidding...it's Ok to sacrifice a stalk or two now and again for science
    -Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how well this experiment turns out :)

    ReplyDelete