Monday, August 30, 2010
late summer yard
After the cute boy (probably young enough to be my own) at the Feed and Grain told me these were the flowers he planted in his own yard, I told the girls they could bring the seeds home. The vines grew in our driveway pot all summer, now finally we're getting these lovely big blue flowers.
Every morning there's new ones to take the place of the faded ones from yesterday. They decided the trellis was too short, and growing on our garage light would be a better idea. (I had to pull them off the compact fluorescent bulb twice, and encourage them to grow on top)
We haven't been bothered yet this year about our boulevard. I keep meaning to make a sign, "Prairie Grasses Live Here" or something like, but since I don't quite know where to start, how to create a permanent outdoor sign, I haven't started yet. I'd like to do it before the Halloween Parade, when our yard will be filled with hundreds of people who may wonder why our boulevard over a foot tall. (well, not our yard specifically, but hundreds of people will see it in one day...)
There's still a lot of weeds, but the wildflowers Jeff planted (by tossing seeds out there) are beautiful and the grasses are really establishing well. Our yard is full of birds and butterflies. Okay, and squirrels, too, but hey, we have to keep the dog entertained by chasing something!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment