Wednesday, February 16, 2011

(please ignore the chipped polish)


K can get terrible terrible dry hands... the girls have a tendency to go running out side without mittens (and I have the tendency to not get them back in and make them put some on), so after a day of running to the car in -10 degrees, even with hands in pockets, the moisture just gets sucked out into the dry air.


Now, it's not -10 anymore (thank heavens!), but I finished up these handwarmers for K after she requested them for her birthday... I actually gave them to her on the day as they were knit - flat (P1, K3) - then sewed the sides up after I could measure on her hand where to put the hole for the thumb.

I was also hoping they'd be good for holding moisture after applying lotion, but I'm not sure if we've tested that yet.  The yarn is a wool/silk blend, and the pattern is Leigh Radford's "fingerless gloves".. which I also made for sis-in-law in a soft brown/grey for Christmas (and didn't take a picture).  Third time was the charm for finding a good fingerless glove pattern I liked.

I'd like a pair myself, with the hope that spring will someday come, and although I'd really like to knit them in the round on DPN's (and not have to seam), I'm not sure I have the patience for that; knitting flat is so much faster!  For me, with my sz. L men's hands, I'll add at least one more pattern repeat, probably 2.  For K, I just make the pattern as given, and they're a tiny bit big (but quite stretchy).

I'm kinda getting into my head to start up some sewing projects, have been also inspired greatly by this little website to keep up the rubber stamp creating... so we'll see what this slow icy lope into spring brings around these parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment