Monday, August 20, 2012
on and off the needles; a confession.
I've done a lot of summer knitting (still in the process, mostly).
But they hide a secret.
I suppose if my grandmother was here, looking over my shoulder or examining a piece of knit I work, she'd have taken one look and straightened me out right away. As it is, now that I know, I've been looking through all my old pieces and thinking "Yup, there it is again. Wrong."
*sigh.*
Skimming through a circular knitting book from the library, I stopped and read a page twice. Then a third time... that's why my loops are never sitting right on my needles! All this time, while I listened to the great EZ on purling, and I purl away superiorly, I never realized I was making each and every knit stitch twisted. every. one.
If you're not a knitter, this doesn't mean much to you. If you are, you know why, for the life of me, I could never ever ever make gauge.
I spent an afternoon with the feeling that I should rip out the many projects on the needles and start over (yes, I am an oldest child), then the feeling that I should re-knit everything I've ever knit, just to see if it would be easier.
Then I sat down and made a bracelet. (The size was spot on.)
And went on with my other projects, without twisting stitches.
(Different, but you can't really tell.)
Taking a deep breath and getting on with my (knitting) life.
~~
By the way, I checked, and little Greta's "in-through-the-front-door, run-around-the-back, peek-through-the-window, and-off-jumps-Jack" stitches are perfect.
Obviously I'm the only one confused around here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whatever you were doing it looks great. I like the blue, is it a certain stitch or only your own twist on purling. He-he-he.
ReplyDeleteknitting doodle.com A monthly knitting blog by my sister, Karen. You might like it.
The blue is "honeycomb stitch" (p1, slip1 rows alternating w. k rows on circulars) the pattern is the "honey cowl." It's funny, but I like the part I did with the twisted knit stitches better, it's prettier! Oh well. I'm doing it "right" now! :) (...I'll look up Karen's blog, too! fun!)
Delete